Prime Video Announces Its First Hindi Horror Series, Adhura; Will Premiere Globally on July 7
Produced by Emmay Entertainment, Adhura is written by Ananya Banerjee and directed by Gauravv K. Chawla and Banerjee
Featuring Rasika Dugal, Ishwak Singh, Shrenik Arora, Poojan Chhabra, Rahul Dev, and Zoa Morani, the series is the first horror project for both Prime Video and Emmay Entertainment
Prime members in India and across 240 countries and territories worldwide can stream all seven episodes of Adhura from July 7
MUMBAI, India—27 Jun, 2023—Prime Video, India’s most loved entertainment destination, announced the global premiere of its First Hindi Horror series, Adhura, starting 7 July. Featuring Rasika Dugal, Ishwak Singh, Shrenik Arora, and Poojan Chhabra, the series also stars Rahul Dev, Zoa Morani, Rijul Ray, Sahil Salathia, Aru Krishansh Verma, KC Shankar and Jaimini Pathak. Directed by Ananya Banerjee and Gauravv K. Chawla, and written by Banerjee, the series is produced by Monisha Advani, Madhu Bhojwani and Nikkhil Advani, of Emmay Entertainment. The seven-episode series will exclusively premiere in India and across 240 countries and territories worldwide. Adhura is the latest addition to the Prime membership. Prime members in India enjoy savings, convenience, and entertainment, all in single membership for just ₹1499/ year.
Adhura delves into the deep-rooted fears and inner demons of its characters, promising a gripping and suspenseful journey into the supernatural realm. It follows the theme of guilt, remorse and revenge. The story unfolds through two timelines, in 2022 and 2007, as secrets and chilling events plague the students and staff of a prestigious boarding school. What starts as a nostalgic reunion turns sinister when Adhiraj Jaisingh (Ishwak Singh) encounters Vedant Malik (Shrenik Arora), a troubled 10-year-old student. As the past and present collide, a dark secret threatens to emerge, linking Adhiraj to Vedant.
“Adhura is a complex, layered and an immersive world where once-familiar corridors and hallways, become a labyrinth of fear and uncertainity,” said Aparna Purohit, head of India originals, Prime Video. “Supernatural horror is an extremely popular genre not just in India but across the world so we are extremely excited to partner with Nikkhil Advani once again, in a genre that neither Emmay Entertainment nor Prime Video has attempted before. As our first hindi Original horror series, I am certain that Adhura will engage, provoke and enthrall our audiences”
“At Emmay, we’ve dabbled with various genres and now we are exploring horror. As fans of this genre, we were eager to tell this classic tale of a ghost in the boarding school. Haven’t we all shared ghost stories in dim-lit rooms with our friends? Adhura to us is one such story, waiting to be shared with our audiences,” said Gauravv K Chawla and Ananya Banerjee, directors, Emmay Entertainment. “We invite the viewers to step inside the haunting corridors of a boarding school in the hills, where the past relentlessly haunts the present and secrets lurk in every shadow. The series promises to captivate the audiences with intrigue, thrill and emotions and immerse them into a realm where the line between the past and the present blurs, leaving them wondering what’s real and what’s imagined, how much of it is your own fear and how much is a haunting shadow following you? All the actors including Ishwak, Rasika, Shrenik, Poojan have done a fabulous job at portraying the characters the way they’ve been written, and we can’t wait for the audiences to see them.”
“With Adhura, we are exploring the horror, supernatural genre for the first time and are delighted to venture into this space with Prime Video. We are glad to collaborate with them once again after the immense success of Mumbai Diaries,” shared Nikkhil Advani, producer, Emmay Entertainment. “ With each episode, the viewers will be immersed in the intricacies of the characters’ lives, witnessing their stories unfold in unexpected ways. This series explores the depths of human emotions, showcasing the complexity of relationships. With every twist and turn, it will captivate and leave the viewers yearning for more. It was wonderful working with the ensemble cast, especially Shrenik Arora, who, I am sure will come out as a surprise package.”
ABOUT PRIME VIDEO
Prime Video is a premium streaming service that offers Prime members a collection of award-winning Amazon Original series, thousands of movies and TV shows—all with the ease of finding what they love to watch in one place.
Prime Video is just one of the many benefits of a Prime membership, available for just ₹1499/ year. Amazon Prime is designed to make your life better every single day as it provides the best of shopping, savings, and entertainment in one single membership. In India, members get Free Same-day/1-day delivery on eligible items, access to exclusive deals, early access to shopping events, exclusive access to our global shopping event Prime Day; and unlimited access to award-winning movies & TV shows with Prime Video, unlimited access to more than 100 million songs, ad-free and millions of podcast episodes with Amazon Music, a free rotating selection of more than 3,000 books, magazines and comics with Prime Reading, access to monthly free-in game and benefits with Prime Gaming. Prime members can also earn unlimited 5% cashback on all purchases on Amazon.in using the Amazon Pay ICICI Bank credit card i.e., Co-Branded Credit Card (CBCC) as compared to 3% for customers without Prime membership. Go to www.amazon.in/prime to learn more about Prime.
● Included with Prime Video: Thousands of acclaimed TV shows and movies across languages and geographies, including Indian films such as Shershaah, Soorarai Pottru, Sardar Udham, Gehraiyaan, Jai Bhim, Jalsa, Shakuntala Devi, Sherni, Narappa, Sarpatta Parambarai, Kuruthi, Joji, Malik, and #HOME, along with Indian-produced Amazon Original series like Farzi, Jubilee, Dahaad, The Family Man, Mirzapur, Made in Heaven, Four More Shots Please!, Mumbai Diaries 26/11, Suzhal – The Vortex, Modern Love, Paatal Lok, Bandish Bandits, Guilty Minds, Cinema Marte Dum Tak, and Amazon Original movies like Maja Ma and Ammu. Also included are popular global Amazon Originals like Citadel, The Lord of The Rings: The Rings of Power, Reacher, Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan, The Boys, Hunters, Fleabag, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and many more, available for unlimited streaming as part of a Prime membership. Prime Video includes content across Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Punjabi, and Bengali.
● Prime Video Mobile Edition: Consumers can also enjoy Prime Video’s exclusive content library with Prime Video Mobile Edition at ₹599 per year. This single-user, mobile-only annual video plan offers everyone access to high-quality entertainment exclusively on their mobile devices. Users can sign-up for this plan via the Prime Video app (on Android) or website.
● Instant Access: Prime Members can watch anywhere, anytime on the Prime Video app for smart TVs, mobile devices, Fire TV, Fire TV stick, Fire tablets, Apple TV, and multiple gaming devices. Prime Video is also available to consumers through Airtel and Vodafone pre-paid and post-paid subscription plans. In the Prime Video app, Prime members can download episodes on their mobile devices and tablets and watch anywhere offline at no additional cost.
● Enhanced experiences: Make the most of every viewing with 4K Ultra HD- and High Dynamic Range (HDR)-compatible content. Go behind the scenes of your favourite movies and TV shows with exclusive X-Ray access, powered by IMDb. Save it for later with select mobile downloads for offline viewing.
● Video Entertainment Marketplace: In addition to a Prime Video subscription, customers can also purchase add-on subscriptions to other streaming services, as well as, get rental access to movies on Prime Video.
○ Prime Video Channels: Prime Video Channels offers friction-free and convenient access to a wide range of premium content from multiple video streaming services all available at a single destination – Prime Video website and apps. Prime Members can buy add-on subscriptions and enjoy a hassle-free entertainment experience, simplified discovery, frictionless payments, and more.
○ Rent: Consumers can enjoy even more movies from new releases to classic favourites, available to rent – no Prime membership required. View titles available by visiting primevideo.com/store. The rental destination can be accessed via the STORE tab on primevideo.com and the Prime Video app on Android smart phones, smart-TVs, connected STBs, and Fire TV stick.
SOCIAL MEDIA HANDLES: